Introduction to Multi Media
Goal and Theme
This course is for students to learn basic features of audio and video, their coding methods and standards, and important multimedia technologies.
This course mainly provides concepts, models, techniques and applications of multimedia computing. It consists of two parts: media fundamentals and media technologies. Part I, the media fundamentals, first explains multimedia concept and topics, then discusses audio perception and representation as well as compression techniques, and finally examines image/video digitization and coding standards including JPEG, H.26x and MPEG-1, 2, 4, 7 and 21. Part II, media technologies, includes media object production, media integration, media presentation, media protection, media retrieval, media distribution across the Internet, IP telephony, teleconferencing and wireless multimedia technology.
- Multimedia Concept and Topics
- Audio Fundamentals
- Audio Coding and Standard
- Image/Video Fundamentals
- Image/Video Coding: JPEG and H.26x
- MPEG Coding Standards
- Advanced Multimedia Coding
- Media Object Production
- Media Integration and Presentation
- Media Protection and Watermarking
- Media Content-based Retrieval
- Media Distribution Across Internet
- Media Communication - IP Telephony and Teleconference
- Mobile Multimedia Service over Wireless Networks
- 藤原洋, 画像&音声圧縮技術のすべて, ISBN 4-7898-3315-1, 2000.
- 大久保 榮, 川島正久, H.323/MPEG-4教科書, ISBN 4-901280-03-1, 2001.
- Ismail Khalil (Editor), Handbook of Research on Mobile Multimedia, Second Edition, IGI Global, 2008.
- M.C. Angelides and H.W. Agius (Editors), The Handbook of MPEG Applications: Standards in Practice. John Wiley and Sons Ltd., 2010.
Attendance (20%), Report I(20%), ReportII(20%), QuizI (20%), Quiz II (20%)